Demand for Electricity

Group operating review

Networks Industrial Area

Electricity demand in Italy in 2011 increased by 0.6% compared to the previous year. Peak demand on the Italian electricity network stood at 53,668 MW, recorded on 13 July 2011, at 12.00. The figure was around 2,757 MW lower (down 4.89%) than the peak recorded in the previous year, equal to 56,425 MW, recorded on 16 July 2010, at 12.00.

Domestic production met 86.3% of Italy’s electricity requirements, whilst the remaining 13.7% was covered by imports. As regards the contributions to total production, 64.7% came from thermoelectric plants, 14.3% from hydroelectric sources and, lastly, 7.3% from geothermal and wind/PV sources.

  1 January - 31 December 2011 1 January - 31 December 2010 % change
2011-2010
 GWhGWh%
Net production



hydroelectric 47,672 53,795 –11,4
thermoelectric 271,369 220,984 -1,6
geothermal 5,307 5,047 5,2
wind power 9,560 9,048 5,7
photovoltaic 9,258 1,874 394,0
Total net production 289,166 290,748 -0,5
of which: CIP 6 production
26,639 
36,939 
-27,9 
Import 47,349 45,987 3,0
Export 1,723 1,827 -5,7
Balance of imports 45,626 44,160 3,3
Consumption for pumping systems
2,518 4,453 -43,5
Electricity demand 332,274 330,455 0,6